Saturday, December 31, 2011

the kitchen!

I've been completing a little bit here and there in the kitchen for months now. From the start I thought I would like to have it completed by the end of the year.
Well, I've just scraped in!

Here is what I started with:






Surprise, surprise - another embarrasing mess!

Here is what I did with the kitchen, with help from my lovely husband...

I think the pictures will speak for themselves, but I'll still point out a few highlights.
  1. Installing a shelf above the bench to keep the space clear for preparing food. ($50 from Ikea)
  2. Purchasing a set of tins to keep bread, tea, coffee etc in. ($16 from Kmart)
  3. Investing in Tupperware! The Access Mate "Veg Out" containers were $117.65 for both. I justified this expense by repeating a "they have a lifetime guarantee!" mantra in my mind. My husband loves these. They are much more suitable for potatoes and onions than the rotting box we had previously. And they are impenetrable for creepy crawlies!
  4. Ikea shelf inserts in plates and glasses cupboards.
  5. Large plastic tubs for plastic containers and bake ware. (About $6 each from Kmart). These allow the containers and drink bottles to be a little more organised and I can lift them out easily to access the "occasional use items" in the hidden corner of the cupboard.
  6. Moving all the dishes, bowls and platters that I use all the time into a more accessible place. 
  7. Getting a new bin. We now have a bin that has two sections; a smaller section on the left for rubbish and a larger section on the right for recycling. (About $70 from Bunnings from memory). Now the recycling doesn't float all around the place in an enviro bag. Much better!


























I actually feel excited to be starting a new year with a new kitchen! My whole family has noticed the difference. We can find things we need more easily, and I don't feel angry every time I need to prepare a meal for everyone. I think a happy cook produces better food. 

And, just today, James came in as I was adding the final sparkle and said "thanks for cleaning the kitchen, mum!" Nice to know I am appreciated :)

The challenge now will be to maintain that level of cleanliness. All I can do is try.

Happy New Year to you all. May next year be full of love, fun and organisation!


8 comments:

  1. I LOVE it!!!! Awesome work Corrine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work. I do the plastics in a tub, it works a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done! I need some inspiration to organise mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did it! Great job. I love the canisters. Nice way to start out the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. I awarded you the Liebster award, check it out... http://theimperfectchristianhousewife.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/sharing-love-liebster-way.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow I need to do this badly for my kitchen too! So many pots and containers in random places. It also makes me a bit grumpy when I go to cook, when I have to search for things and wrestle with the cupboard! Your kitchen looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey thanks Loz! Yes, I reckon even if you aren't ready to do a complete overhaul - just reorganising some cupboards can make a huge difference. "Where is that mixing bowl!!??" - "oh, with all the other mixing bowls..." = much better :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done Corrine! That is an amazing transformation. Love the IKEA shelf to clear up benchtop space!
    Ronnie xo

    ReplyDelete