Wednesday, December 14, 2011

puddle on the floor

There's a puddle on the floor in the kitchen. Not sure how long it's been there. Maybe it appeared this morning. Maybe yesterday? Pretty sure it's water. (hope it's water). How did it get there?

I haven't cleaned it up yet. I stepped in it a couple of times while trying to put breakfast things away. Cringed as I felt the cold liquid touch my toes. I just walked it off onto the carpet as I went to fetch more things off the table.

I managed to avoid it while getting some toast for the boys. I have memorised where it is now. It's almost invisible on the lino, but I know the spot I should avoid.

Why haven't I cleaned it up? I don't know. Instead of doing that, I started folding some towels. I got through half of them. They are now sitting on the floor in the lounge room.

The puddle is still there. And I'm sitting here writing about it.

Am I lazy? Or don't care? Or just exhausted? I don't know.

The puddle sits there as a reminder of all the things that don't get done - or get
half-done - the story of my life.

I should be mopping up the puddle right now, or finishing folding the towels, or hanging out the load of washing which must have finished by now.
Or getting dressed. I'm still in my pyjamas.

I'm feeling paralysed by this simple "to do" list. It must be time for a holiday.

But first... I suppose I'd better grab that mop.

6 comments:

  1. Haha... so true! It is definitely the same here. I had a good nights sleep last night so the dishwasher is on and I just had a shower! I feel like I deserve a pat on the back! Small victories... But normally I would have a dirty kitchen and I would still be in my PJ's... which is a comfy place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Btw... you have two active little kids so you are doing well to be 'stepping around' the puddle and not getting wetting every time you walk into the kitchen (as I would!). xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha. thanks for putting a positive spin on it, Katie! You are right, though. It's all about the small victories :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha, thanks Corrine, very cute and entertaining. Reminds me of yesterday, I helped a friend pack her whole house. I had her iron leaning on a blanket and later realised there was a small spill of water on the blanket (non absorbant) from the iron's steamer. I thought "better dab that up with a tissue" and proceeded to instead - empty the iron, wrap it and pack it.

    an hour later my mate freaks out at a HUGE puddle on the floor - much more water had dribbled out than I could even imagine! luckily it did not compromise any of the cardboard boxes near by and I dabbed it up - with about 8 paper towels.

    nat :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Corrine there is something about puddles... I ADMIRE people who jump to grab the mop.. I rather walk around it until Andrew notices it. Am I lazy? I don't know. Glad you cleaned it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The puddles around here at the moment are usually caused by my 2.5 year old, so they are cleaned up pretty quickly. I'm a bit lazy with my cleaning cloth of choice though. I would have just used one of the tea-towels you were folding, then taken it straight to the washing machine

    ReplyDelete