Wednesday, March 2, 2011

what do you do with a didgeridoo?


Here is a somewhat unique situation. My husband comes from a very musical family and I have also been known to play an instrument or two once upon a time. Therefore, we have managed to acquire a rather large number of musical instruments.

We currently have an upright piano, an electric keyboard, a Fender Rhodes keyboard, an acoustic guitar, a Spanish acoustic guitar, an African guitar, a trombone, a flute, a melodica, a tambourine, a various assortment of percussion instruments (one of which looks like a frog), a Nepalise flute, a full size djembe and a didgeridoo (pictured above).

My ridiculously clever husband can play all of these instruments and many have made appearances on stage at gigs. (Except maybe for the African guitar. It is a bit hard to tune and is more for 'decorative' purposes.) Our boys really enjoy listening to, and playing them. They are all used and well loved.

The problem. Where do we store all of these instruments!!??

The upright piano is like a piece of furniture, so has it's place. But as for everything else....

We have been using our garage to store the larger items that can't really be carried up and down the stairs. Also, things that my husband needs regularly for his band are down there to save lugging them around. But our garage isn't a very safe place for these things. I would have also added two more flutes (don't ask) and my super-sweet bass guitar to the list above, but they were stolen out of the cupboard in our garage last year. We also had been storing a complete drum kit in there but were finally able to move it elsewhere!

And there are only so many things we can fit under our bed...

A thought had entered my head that maybe we could put one or two on display. But then that is more things for me to not dust. Hmmmmm.

Help! What should we do? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

6 comments:

  1. Hmm could you wall mount the guitars in the corridor and then use 'Things' to remind you to dust them every 3 months... or a quick wipe whenever you play it?

    For the smaller instruments in under bed storage boxes? Or storage ottoman??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure if this is helpful, but i am also picturing some instruments wall mounted. I envisage a structure similar to a pool cue rack, for the didgeridoo, trombone, flutes (?) and guitars along side?
    Just my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. all I can say is... you are in big trouble! (as if it isn't bad enough having kids random toys to store somewhere, let alone a 15 piece orchestra)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to say that I LOVE the pic of Jimmy and teddy playing the piano. We are not a musically inclined family so I cant really give you any good suggestions on this one ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to you all for your thoughts and suggestions. My mind is clunking away as I consider various 'display areas'. I feel there may be some hope! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. and by the way, Alana - thanks for reminding me to use Things!!!

    ReplyDelete